- Gerstein carries approximately 3400 journal subscriptions, in both paper and electronic format. Some titles go back to the 1700s.
- The journals are kept in two different sections of the library:
- Heritage stacks: Current journal issues and those going back to the 1970's. The 5 floors of the heritage stacks have glass floors, imported from Belgium, and were designed to be fireproof.
- 3-below storage: Older journal years in compact movable shelving.
- The library also subscribes to thousands of e-journals which can be accessed online from on- and off-campus by those who have a University of Toronto staff or student affiliation.