The main purpose of carrels/lockers is to provide graduate students and post-doctoral fellows in the Physical Sciences and Life Sciences Divisions, especially those preparing their theses, with quiet working space. The majority of carrel/locker assignments and renewals take place in September. Carrels/lockers are assigned according to the following priorities established in conjunction with the School of Graduate Studies:
- Doctoral students (Divisions III and IV) in the 3rd year of candidacy and beyond*
- Post-doctoral fellows affiliated with the University (Divisions III and IV)
- Doctoral students (Divisions III and IV) in their second year of candidacy
- Other doctoral students (Divisions III and IV)
- Full-time master’s (Divisions III and IV)
* Applicants in Priority 1 will be permitted to hold a carrel/locker for a total of three years, not necessarily consecutive. Carrels/lockers will be assigned for 11 months.
All applications, including those for renewal of current carrels/lockers assignments, should be submitted using this form. Any application received later than the end of August will be treated as a late application. Those who qualify, but cannot be assigned a carrel, are eligible for a locker. The same application form is used.