General Spaces - Collections
Our collection includes over 750,000 books on all aspects of physical, life, and health sciences. Books are shelved by their call numbers.
Basement floors, Morrison Pavilion:
- 1-below (call numbers A - QM)
- 2-below (call numbers QP - Z; Old Class Materials shelved after the Z call numbers)
- 3-below - Theses/dissertations (located at the end of the journal collection)
Gerstein Reading Room
- Reference collection (encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks)
- Table space for 72
- Soft seating for 16
- 6 standing computer terminals
More info: History of the Heritage Reading Room
We have approximately 3400 journal subscriptions, in both paper and electronic formats. Some titles date back to the 1700s.
The library also subscribes to thousands of e-journals which can be accessed online from on- and off-campus by those who have a University of Toronto staff or student affiliation.
- Print journals from 1700s-current
- Individual seating and desks located at the end of selected shelves
- 5 floors (1975-current journals); accessible by elevator
- 3-below, compact movable shelving (Pre-1975 journals)
Capacity: 5 floors with 650 study spaces
Collections: Books by floor
- 1 Below - books shelved by call numbers A-QM
- 2 Below - books shelved by call numbers QP-Z; Old Class materials (located after the Z books)
- 3 Below - Theses/dissertations (located at the end of the journal collection)
Accessibility: All book stacks are accessible by wheelchair.
More info: The history of the Morrison Pavilion
North-east wing spanning all floors:
- 2nd floor
- Main floor
- 1 Below
- 2 Below
- 3 Below
Our reference books include encyclopedias, dictonaries, and handbooks.
These items are not available to borrow, but may be used for in-library consultation.
Main floor, Heritage Reading Room
Short Term Loan Desk
Borrow books in heavy demand or reserved by request of the professor for a particular class
- Course reserves & short term loans
- Phone chargers, laptop chargers, and headphones
- Tables and chairs for individual study
- 1 book scanner
Loan times vary from a number of hours to a number of days, based on the item.
Main floor lobby, adjacent to Loan Services Desk
The Gerstein Book Stop Leisure Collection
A leisure reading collection available for students and staff at the University of Toronto
Capacity: Soft seating for 4
Includes: Non-academic books available to read in-library or to borrow for home
More info: About the Gerstein Book Stop
Main floor, Lobby